Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cancer Has Returned - We Covet Your Prayers

Dear Friends and Family,

Wow! It's been a long time since I've been on this blog but it is encouraging to look back and see all the things that we learned and how God was with us each step of the way.

For my first post I am just going to paste from the email that Mark sent out - so below are his words about our current situation.

Dear Friend,


I had scans done about 3 wks ago and no sign of cancer was seen. In the meantime, I had been having some similar symptoms experienced w/the initial diagnosis over 2 ½ years ago. This lead to a colonoscopy last Thursday and more cancer was detected in the colon…the CT’s don’t always reveal this. The good news is that it was smaller than the original spot. The “bad” news is that there are more complications this time. Surgery is a must and this will make the 5th time in the abdominal area. Scar tissue will be an issue, as well as the previous hernia procedure, along w/uncertainty of enough margins in the colon to save it…the cancer is very low in the colon and it may be a precarious issue.

The good news: God was not surprised by this…we were, but hey, what’s new?:) Our take is that He is not done w/me yet, but has some more things to reveal through all this. We have known all along that He is not done w/me…Phil. 1:6 “being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion…” We claim that and encourage you as well with whatever your life holds.

Surgery will be slated for either the 17th or 26th; we are asking for the 26th now so that a number of things can be done between now and then…both in our family’s lives and the FCA ministry. Among other items…we are getting ready to be proud G-parents (awkward for me to say “grand”) this week of a baby girl.

How you can help:
1. Pray like never before…we are asking for there to be total healing…how about they open me up and…nothing?
2. Pray for the very best scenario if there is cancer
3. Prayer for speedy recovery
4. Pray for the ministry of FCA; I am virtually alone (1 other part-time) as a staff member in our area and naturally, things normally accomplished will potentially fall behind; also, though, I want to realize God is in charge and runs it, not me…but wewill need others’ help in carrying on.
5. As I am out, I fear the support of the ministry will tend to go in neutral. We need help and are in the midst of bringing on new staff and getting funding, so naturally, I worry about the time lost in moving forward with this. Pray for my “trusting Him”issues.
6. Pray for my family…especially Lee; she works fulltime coupled w/normal household affairs, along w/a new grandbaby, wedding planning for our daughter in April and a wedding for our son in June. I am more concerned with the heavy weight on her shoulders. She has also been experiencing a slipped disc and sciatic issues. She has been quite a warrior and will continue to be…but the pressure will, at times, feel very unbearable I know. My heart and love go out to her.


Thank you for your friendship and support. We covet your blanket of prayer during these days. We look forward to the next step in the journey.


Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment